Up And Onwards For Henderson State Athlete Chris Parker

Teuana Smith, Campus Editor

There was 12 seconds left on the clock when Chris Parker stepped up to the free-throw line, made his first shot, and realized that the GAC championship was in the bag after seventeen years. With family and friends surrounding them, the team celebrated in awe of their accomplishments. Shortly after, Parker flew home for the funeral of his beloved grandmother. In dedication to her memory, he gifted the tournament MVP medal to his mom.

The decision to cancel the rest of the season followed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Parker and the rest of the team were disappointed because they didn’t get to pursue their winning journey of advancing to the NCAA Division II tournament with the first game to be against Southern Nazarene.

Nevertheless, Chris Parker has pressed on in quarantine. He keeps himself occupied by working out, going to the park, and studying for finals. This will be his last semester as a Henderson student. One reason is that he will be graduating next week with a degree in recreational sports management. Another reason is that he has committed to Liberty University of Lynchburg, Virginia to continue his basketball career. Liberty University is a D1 school with a plethora of winning records and plenty of new competition for the athlete.

After praying and entering his name into the transfer portal, Parker received calls from many prospect schools all over the country. He chose Liberty considering the relationship he had with the coaches and the school’s leading basketball statistics. The thousand point club member will jump over to their team carrying the same responsibilities he had at Henderson, and wants to create a lasting impact on his younger teammates.

A few favorite junior year highlights of his was beating Ouachita Baptist twice for Battle of the Ravine and of course, winning the championship. In his senior year of college, Parker wants to improve on increasing his shooting percentage, being a great role model, and a better man in faith. After college, he plans on joining a professional team and starting a master’s degree in business. He attributes his father, a former NBA coach, for being a great role model and teacher in his life.

“He is someone I’ve always looked up to and always gives me the right advice…showed me the way”, said Parker.

He also is influenced by NBA players like Kemba Walker and Chris Paul.

“I enjoyed my time at Henderson and I’m gonna miss it for sure, the people there, coaches, players…everybody.”

On behalf of Henderson, we would like to wish Chris Parker the best of luck on the new endeavors and will miss your positive spirit. Thank you for all the hard work and dedication you have committed thus far and congratulations.