Quarantine Sports Update

Johnathan Smith, Sports Reporter

The recent events with the Coronavirus have affected all sports in different ways. For basketball, they had to put the season on pause, baseball had to delay the start of their season, and football has had to change the way they are preparing for the season. During the draft evaluation process, teams had to interview players virtually through FaceTime, and the entire draft was done virtually.

The NFL started their official team meetings through Zoom and have assigned players at-home workouts to keep them in shape. At the college level, coaches have been meeting with players in similar manners. I talked to former Arkansas Razorback football player and current assistant coach at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, Kansas, Kevin Richardson.

While talking to him, he explained some of the difficulties in getting their players ready. He told me how they did not get to have spring practice, which is an important time of the year to evaluate talent and implement new schemes on both sides of the ball.
In addition to that, he talked about the problems it has brought up in recruiting. They had scheduled different recruits to visit the campus, but they can no longer do that. They have to send their virtual tours.

The only good thing about the quarantine is that they can focus more on recruiting. Due to the excess amount of time on their hands, they can look into the future recruiting classes and start finding prospects.

The quarantine has thrown a wrench in teams’ preparation for the upcoming season. It will be interesting to see how teams find creative ways to prepare.