Little Free Pantry

Little Free Pantry of Central Primary School

Victoria Stewart-Meyers, City Editor

In these unprecedented times, with so many people suddenly out of work, lack of food can quickly become a problem. Arkansas food banks distribute millions of pounds of food all over the state under normal circumstances, for individuals and families in need to local food pantries, soup kitchens, shelters and other non-profit organizations. 

Food pantries in Arkadelphia are at the First Christian Church, the First Baptist Church, Lighthouse Ministries, the Gennesaret Missionary Baptist Church, the Community Family Enrichment Center, Fellowship Church Baptist Church, and Primera Iglesias Bautista. More information, phone numbers and distribution schedules can be found at foodpantries.org using a handy locator tool. 

There are few more options available for children in Arkadelphia through the school lunch program. Beginning March 16, Arkadelphia Public School District began providing free “grab and go” lunches for any child 0-18 years of age. The lunches are available for pick-up at several locations across Arkadelphia, including the Peake Cafeteria, and various apartment complexes as well. Phone APSD at 870–246-5564 for more information and pick up times. 

Social distancing concerns make the Arkadelphia Little Free Pantry Project a good option. These are boxes set up around Arkadelphia where people can take food, or other items and leave donated items as well. “Take what you need, give when you can” is the stated philosophy of the movement on the Facebook page for the project. 

Secular Student Alliance on-campus needs pantry

One such location is listed at First United Methodist Church of Arkadelphia. There is another box at Central Primary School, as well as one behind the HSU Dining Hall in front of West Hall. The box in front of Central Primary school is in need of donations, only one can of stew was inside the box at the time of this writing. If you have the means just go on over there and place a few non-perishable or canned goods in the box.