Unity Concert

Erica Amyx, Contributing Reporter

On Tuesday, March 3, the Henderson choirs came together with the Bryant High School Camerata choir at the First United Methodist Church in Arkadelphia to perform a unity concert. The concert featured the University Chorale, Concert Choir, and Bryant Camerata, and a combined large ensemble of all three groups. 

This year, we reached out to HSU alumnus, Tanner Oglesby, and asked if the Bryant High School Camerata would join us,” Kevin Coker, Director of Choral Activities at Henderson, stated. “The Bryant Camerata is a tremendous ensemble, and they won the sweepstakes award and Best Overall State Title for Large Chorus at the 2019 State Choral Festival.”

The chance to collaborate with a collegiate choir was “a surreal feeling” for Tanner Oglesby, head choral director at Bryant and Henderson alumni. “It’s a cool feeling to have former students and current students performing on the same level.”

The best moment for Coker was all three choirs coming together to perform “Let the River Run” by Carly Simon. “It was a pleasure to share the stage with such talented musicians, and I really enjoyed looking around the ensemble and seeing so many current and future Reddies,” Coker stated.

The concert featured pieces by W.A. Mozart, Eric Whitacre, and even a world premiere of a choral piece. Riley Burle, a sophomore music composition major, had her piece “The Worlds of Tomorrow” premiered at the Unity Concert. “The piece is based on a quote by E.E. Cummings. I emailed it to Dr.Coker last December, and he has brought the piece to life,” Burle stated.