Students’ Favorite TV Shows

Ethan Schmidt, Contributing Reporter

Due to the recent premieres of popular new television seasons, such as season 5 of Better Call Saul, season 3 of Ozark, and the conclusion of Netflix’s Bojack Horseman, The Oracle felt it significant to ask students about their favorite TV shows.

Some students are drawn towards new, unique comedies. Freshman Josh Wiseman stated his favorite television show is Barry. “It’s the perfect fusion of comedy and drama,” Wiseman says. “Bill Hader really shows off his acting chops. It so often throws twists and other jaw-dropping moments to really motivate interest from episode to episode while still remaining quality art.”

Freshman Camden Keech answered that his favorite show is Bad Education. “It’s ability to mix British wit and Jack Whitehall’s childlike obnoxious comedic style really gives it the feeling of a school version of the American version of The Office.” According to Keech, though it doesn’t use the show’s mockumentary style, Bad Education “replaces everyday office shenanigans and Michael Scott’s foolish crude humor with over the top British Teen shenanigans and Alfie Wicker’s ignorant, but clever farce.”

Senior Brandon Curtis prefers a taste of reality. “My favorite T.V. show is RuPaul’s Drag Race,” Curtis says. “I love that it’s a competition and it shows diversity within the drag community and also the gay community.”

Other students gravitate towards dramas. Freshman Sophie Burke states that her favorite television show is the limited series Maniac. “I’ve probably seen it more than 4 times by now, and I fall in love with it even more every time,” Burke says. “The whole concept of mental illness being ‘cured’ by technology and the weird futuristic-but-yet-still-heavily-80s setting makes it really unique.”

Junior Hannah Mims praises Veronica Mars. “Something about the heavy 2000s vibe is really appealing to me,” she says. “I also love the small town mystery, and the dry humor. Kristen Bell is one of my favorite actresses, and it’s so cool seeing her being so awesome so early on in her career.”

Freshman Nate Johnston recommends Euphoria. “It really realistically portrays the power of addiction in young people today and the modern hierarchy of high school.”

From this interesting line up rest assured, your TV binge watching will be filled with laughs.