History and Poetry in Clark County

Pictured: Dr. John Crawford

Victoria Stewart-Meyers, City Editor

Students at HSU may be interested in visiting monthly membership meetings of the Clark County Historical Association on the first Tuesday of each month at the Arkadelphia Western Sizzlin’ at noon. Speakers featured monthly discuss  the history of Clark County, Arkadelphia,as well as other topics. In the past, speakers have talked about Women’s Suffrage and Historic Washington. On March 3rd, 2020, the speaker will be Dr. John Crawford, retired HSU professor. A native of Ashdown, Dr. Crawford taught 40 years at Henderson State University. He is a widely published and award-winning author and poet. He has won the Sybil Nash Abrams Arkansas Poets Roundtable Award twice. Dr. Crawford is also a member of the Roundtable Poets of Hot Springs and an Honorary Member of the Roundtable Poets of Arkansas, and 2012 winner of the National Senior Poet Laureate. Dr. Crawford will present a program on “How a Rural Boy in Arkansas Got to be a Poet.” Members are encouraged to bring a guest! Purchasing a meal is not a condition of attendance. Still, the public is welcome to come early and enjoy lunch and fellowship before the meeting. In  March, Meeks Etchieson, President of the CCHA, is doing a Archives Month Program. The general public is welcome to attend.

Pictured: Dr. John Crawford

Visit the website at ClarkCountyHistory.org to learn more about Arkadelphia, and Clark County history and get more out of your time here at HSU. The mission of the CCHA has been to “preserve and disseminate information on Clark County’s history from the earliest times to the present” since its first meeting in October of 1972. According to their website, the Association “houses the Clark County Museum in the former Arkadelphia train station… involved in efforts to preserve the 1899 Courthouse between 1974 and its eventual restoration after the 1997 tornado… [as well as] private restoration projects… at Magnolia Manor.”