Doin Ok in Oklahoma: Jordan on the Basketball Teams

Story by Jordan WIlliams, Sports Reporter

In what could’ve been called the Oklahoma Showcase, the Reddies hosted both Northwestern and Southwestern Oklahoma this past week in some electrifying matchups. They pit both the Men’s and Women’s teams against some of the more potent offensive and defensive units that the GAC has to offer. 

The refs played a major role in SWOSU’s victory. The game itself was a tightly contested affair until late in the fourth when a missed three by Hailey Estes turned into hacking the other team to force free throws and get more possessions. 

The final score was 71 – 61. The silver lining from this loss was the absolute monster performance by Bree Bossier with a stat line of 17 pts (7-12 from the floor), 16 rebs, and 5 blks. The stand out performance of Brittany Branum, who came off the bench and caught fire scoring 16 pts while shooting 4 -7 from 3, was also impressive. 

Redemption came just two days later against NWOSU, a game in which the starter came out just ready to play from the jump. Every player in the starting five scored in the double digits and Hailey Estes, who had gone ice cold shooting just 2-9 from the floor, shot 4-11 from the floor. All of her conversions from behind the arc shot 4-9 from deep and lead the way to a convincing 61-78 victory. 

The men’s team shined in what would turn out to be an absolute blow out game against SWOSU. The final score was HSU 94 – SWOSU 67 and the game was over before it ever really began. 

We jumped out to a twenty-point lead early on that we not only never relinquished but also continued to build up. The game went on, and with every dribble the lead continued to grow. 

Kaylon Tappin lead the way and scored 21 points on a night that saw him commemorated for scoring 1000 points in a Reddies uniform. He was accompanied by three of the other starting five members who also scored in double digits. Chris Parker and DJ Franklin also scorched the nets, each shooting 5-8 on the night. 

It was a great win for the team, there aren’t too many times a season a team can have a victory which makes them all the more important it lets a team know how good they can be when everything is clicking. Next up was NWOSU who would prove to be a bit tougher of an opponent than their south western counterparts as the game wouldn’t be decided until the final moments. 

With 5 seconds left on the clock, freshman guard Chris Parker stepped up in a major way. Coming off a screen at the top of the key, he drilled what would be the game winning shot in a game that saw the final score HSU 65 – NWOSU 63. 

Parker was the hero of the night shooting 50% from the floor (7-14) and having 18 points on the night. The men’s team showed great resolve in this affair. Teams can sometimes be taken by surprise playing games after blowout wins in which the victory was given to them on a silver platter. Hopefully than can take these back-to-back wins to heart as the season on trudges on.