Onwards To The Semi-Finals

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

Henderson battled continuously throughout the game without one of their key bench players Sophomore Guard Maci Mains as they beat Southern Nazarene.

The Reddies started the game locked in on defense forcing multiple turnovers on the Crimson Storm.

On the offensive end, Henderson State had a swift pace as they collectively went on an 8-0 run early in the first quarter. Senior guard, Pink Jones was the leading scorer with eight points as Henderson captured a nine point lead.

The pace began to pick up as senior guard, Hailey Estes went on an individual 5-0 run to extend the lead. Junior guard, Lani Snowden’s defense was swarming against SNU as she achieved multiple steals.

Freshman guard, Ashley Farrar emerged from the bench as multiple starters got caught in foul trouble in the first half. Farrar was an instant scoring contributor with six points in her initial minutes.

Henderson State’s pounding defensive continued as they kept forcing turnovers to capture a 35-21 lead going into halftime.

After being scoreless in the first half due to foul trouble, junior forward Karrington Whaley rose to the occasion in the third quarter. She fueled the team scoring eight of the 14 points in the quarter as HSU maintained a one-point lead going into the final period.

The Reddies faced the biggest challenge of the game as the talented point guard Jones fouled out within three minutes of the fourth quarter. The other four starters stepped up to pick up the slack to keep Henderson in the game.

Two missed free throws by Snowden allowed SNU to tie the game and force overtime.

Henderson State soared in overtime scoring the first five points of the extra period. Farrar made two clutch free throws under pressure in the final seconds of the game to give HSU a three-point lead.

Snowden closed out the game at the free throw line going 1 for 2 to seal the quarterfinal win. HSU had balanced scoring as six players ended in double figures with senior guard, Blu Jones leading all with 16 points.

The Reddies will seek revenge on Saturday, March 7,2020 against Southeastern Oklahoma State University at 5:45pm in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.