AKA Lemonade Stand

Alpha Kappa Alpha fundraises with their "Pretty Girls & Lemonade" bake sale.

Phoebe Darley

Greek Life is an important part of the Heart of Henderson State University. Fundraising is an important aspect of Greek life. It allows the different organizations to continue to thrive and exist  on campus. The funds raised can help a Greek organization do many things. 

On Feb. 27, 2020, the ladies of Theta Eta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc (AKA) hosted “Pretty Girls & Lemonade” in the Garrison Student Center. Deranaque Sturghill and Kristin Bell were busy working the table during the dead hour on Thursday. Both Sturghill and Bell are current members of Alpha Kappa Alpha. The Lemonade Stand was decked out in the classic AKA colors of green and pink. Even the goods sold at the table coordinated with their colors, green frosted cupcakes and cookies and pink lemonade. Students could buy cookies, cupcakes, and lemonade all for a dollar at the table. The money fundraised went to benefit Henderson’s chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha. “It was a great turnout! Amazing! Sold out of everything!” stated Sturghill after the event was over. 

The Theta Eta Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha, Inc is part of the National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). The Ladies of Alpha Kappa Alpha are joined by Zeta Phi Beta, Alpha Phi Alpha, Phi Beta Sigma, Omega Psi Phi, Kappa Alpha Psi on NPHC at Henderson State University. AKA was chartered on the campus of Henderson State University on December 2nd, 1973. When asked to share any information or exciting news about Alpha Kappa Alpha, Sturghill stated “On January 15th, 2020 we celebrated 112 years of Excellence in Service to All Mankind and we’re going to continue to set the bar high.”