Some Games Aren’t In Our Favor

Courtesy of HSU Athletics

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

The Reddies traveled away to Durant, Oklahoma to take on Southeastern Oklahoma this past Thursday. The game started with a slow offense, although until Senior Guard Pink Jones picked up the pace with four points and three rebounds. 

The first quarter was filled with scoreless droughts as only two three-pointers were made by Henderson State.

The bench gave HSU a spark as they scored eight points due to four starters picking up early fouls. The energy boost came from Sophomore Guard Maci Mains coming off the bench by scoring with five points.

The second quarter was the highest-scoring quarter for the Reddies as they went 8-8 from the free-throw line. Countless foul calls against Henderson began to show a negative impact the energy fluctuated as the calls started to pile up on the starters.

Mains continued to make plays at a consistent pace to keep Henderson State in the game.

HSU managed to outscore the savage storm in the third quarter, but they were still in an uphill climb to get the lead. To keep the game alive the Reddies defense stepped up, achieving three steals and only turning the ball over once.

In the end, the Reddies couldn’t catch a break from the numerous fouls causing even more difficulty to get ahead even with the bench scoring 36 points.

Henderson State will look to get back in the win column on Saturday, February 29, 2020, against East Central University at 1:00 pm in Ada, Oklahoma to close out the regular season.

As for the Men’s Basketball team, Henderson found themselves giving Southeastern offense an easy way to gain a lead on the free-throw line as multiple Reddies got caught in foul trouble early in the game.

The momentum was at an all-time low until Junior Guard Jeremiah Toney came off the bench with an impactful performance scoring nine quick points. Toney was the leading scorer as the majority of the starters sat with foul trouble.

The number of fouls continued to build up as Southeastern was in a double bonus late in the first half. The Reddies defensive effort kept them in the game with six steals and one block.

Junior Forward Raekwon Rogers gained positive energy for HSU in the second half scoring six of the 11 points. Henderson State’s bench continued to leave their mark on the game coming up big offensively.

Senior Guard Rel Johnson and Rodgers traded back and forth scoring with 8 points to keep the Reddies within reach of gaining the lead. Henderson State trailed the majority of the game but always was within grasp.

Two perfect free throws by Senior Forward Mike Fofana allowed HSU to continue to the battle in overtime.

However as doubt crept around the corner, multiple Reddies fouled out leaving the door open for Junior Guard Quawn Marshall to carry the team on his back as he put together a 4-0 to tie the game late. A heroic buzzer-beater three-pointer by Marshall was called no good as his hand was still on the ball when time expired.

Henderson will look to bounce back in the final regular-season game on Saturday, February 29, 2020, when they play East Central Oklahoma at 3:00 pm in Oklahoma.