No Need To Wonder

Donovan Lee, Co-Sports Editor

During an action-packed weekend for Henderson State Athletics, HSU baseball took to the diamond in conference play versus the Wonder Boys of Arkansas Tech. The Reddies (4-9, 2-4 GAC), coming off of a Wednesday night massacre as they handled Texas A&M- Texarkana, faced Tech for their weekend series.

In the Friday afternoon match-up, Henderson would deliver early, going up 4-1 by the top of the fifth inning. Tech would capitalize on an error and score two runs off of three hits to bring them within one. A ninth-inning rally by Tech would tie the game at four. Senior Danny Mitchell would steal third and a bad throw from Tech would allow him to make it home, giving HSU a walk-off win.

The morning game of day two, Tech would take an early deficit, going down 3-0 by the fifth inning. They would hustle back with the help of a two-man shot over the wall. Three runs and four hits later, the Wonder Boys took a 5-3 lead heading into the ninth. Sophomore outfielder Caleb Carr would deliver a left-center shot to bring in two runs for the Reddies and tie the game. Tech’s late-game heroics off of a two-run shot in the ninth gave them the win and evened the series at one game a piece.

In a winner-take-all game three, the Wonder Boys would not see the Sun. Henderson would demolish Tech in runaway fashion, 11-1. Major contributors in the win were pitchers Hunter Lewis, a junior and Matthew Baker, a sophomore, striking out nine and only walking two batters on just five hits.

The Reddies resume play on Feb. 25 in an evening game against Delta State at Clyde Berry Field.