Trap V Soul

Two tradtional musical styles, but only one wins.

Cle’Varus Oney, Copy Editor

On Thursday, Feb. 6, many of our Reddies showed off their vocals at the Motown VS Quality Control Karaoke Night hosted in the Reddie Café.

The Black Student Association, the Student Activities Board, and the National Pan-Hellenic Council presented the event in the Reddie Cafe.

The songs chosen for this night of karaoke were based on the namesake of the event, being songs by artists under Motown Records or Quality Control Music.

Motown Records has had artists such as Michael Jackson, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, and quite a few more that you may have heard older family members playing often. It mainly focuses on soul music.

Artists like the Migos, Cardi B, and Lil Yachty represent the Quality Control Music group. This record label falls into the genres of hip hop and trap music.

With their options set, excited singers came to the microphone as soloists, duos, and even trios deciding what they should sing.

The crowd often played the role of background singers for anyone that sang a song requiring a little backup.

There were a few hiccups, such as the karaoke version of a song not being immediately found. These hiccups, however, led to some interesting situations. One of these hiccups became Kayla Lewis giving us a small freestyle on an instrumental of Midnight Train to Georgia by Gladys Knight & The Pips.

Even with small hiccups, the event was a welcome addition to the black history month festivities, allowing us to look at black artists in the past and the present.

Everyone should look forward to more events popping up throughout February.