Retired Arkadelphia Mayor James Calhoun Passes Away

Victoria Stewart-Meyers, City Editor

Retired Mayor of Arkadelphia, James Calhoun, passed away on Tuesday, Feb. 11, 2020. Mayor Calhoun was a member of the Arkadelphia City Board of Directors for 18 years before being appointed Mayor in 2015. The City of Arkadelphia Facebook page posted, “During his tenure as Mayor, Arkadelphia progressed in various ways… [and] presented more than 100 proclamations for various events/celebrations held in Arkadelphia.”

Born in Star City, Arkansas, Calhoun moved with his family to Arkadelphia in 1984 as Pastor of the Baring Cross Missionary Baptist Church and served there for 20 years. As the Promotional Director of Arkansas Missions Projects, Mayor Calhoun worked at fundraising for missionary projects. Calhoun also served as president of the Arkadelphia High School Band Boosters and the Arkadelphia Kiwanis Club.

Only recently, in November 2019, the city honored the Mayor with a reception celebrating his service to Arkadelphia. He retired from his Mayoral position in September of 2019. Projects during Mayor Calhoun’s administration include the development of the new Ouachita River Bridge, Desoto Bluff Trail Pavilion, and Water Utility Consolidation between Arkadelphia and Gum Springs.