Galentine’s Day

Attention HSU Ladies! “Galentine’s Day” Fashion Show with Jacob Flores

Victoria Stewart-Meyers, City Editor

The City of Arkadelphia will be hosting its first-ever, Ladies Night Out “Galentine’s Day” Fashion Show on Thursday, Feb. 13, 2020. The fun starts at 6 p.m. on the 700 block of Main Street in downtown Arkadelphia; in the street between the old Honeycomb Restaurant location and the Beehive. Henderson’s own Dr. Talisha Givan, Associate Professor of Curriculum and Instruction and Director of Teacher Education Admissions and Clinical Experiences, will MC the show as downtown boutique models show off their apparel. Restaurants in the downtown area, Slim and Shorty’s, 67 Grill, and Java Primo will be offering Ladies Night Specials. Hot Springs National Park’s sexy heartthrob and proud Henderson Alum, Jacob Flores, will DJ during the fashion show portion of the event and then perform live music afterward.

Flores was crowned 2013 Henderson Idol as a student at HSU. Since then, he has performed at many events in and around Hot Springs, including the Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival, Hot Water Hills Music Festival, the Miss Arkansas Pageant, and featured alongside internationally recognized recording artist La Sonora Dinamita, Los Traileros del Norte and Banda Carnaval. Flores has also performed at the 381st National Guard Birthday Gala in Washington, D.C., as well as with award-winning singer-songwriter Woody Russell at the Skylark Lounge in Austin, Texas. He also auditioned and advanced through the rounds of NBC’s The Voice, and was featured on Fox Networks American Idol, season 14. Flores plays guitar and keyboard while singing contemporary hits in both English and Spanish. Some favorites are Chris Stapleton’s Tennessee Whisky, Lizzo’s Truth Hurts, and Despacito by Luis Fonsi featuring Justin Bieber.  

The “Galentine’s Day” tradition was born on the popular NBC sitcom, Parks and Recreation. When Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), the deputy director of an Indiana Parks and Recreation Department, invites her girlfriends to her annual “Galentine’s Day” party, celebrated the day before Valentine’s Day. The episode aired on Feb. 11, 2010.

This event is the brainchild of Keith Beason, the City of Arkadelphia’s Communications Director, as part of his new focus on community events throughout the year. This event is the brainchild of Keith Beason, Arkadelphia’s Communications Director, as part of his new focus on community events throughout the year. The Founders Day celebration on Jan. 9, 2020, kicked off this year’s activities and marked 163 years of history. The next event will be in April (date TBA) and expects to feature live music and food trucks. He says the city is working on a lot of projects right now that will increase the value of life here in Arkadelphia.

Regarding the students of both Henderson and Ouachita Baptist University, he would like to encourage students to get out to downtown and the rest of the city. Beason said he thinks that students will be surprised to find “really friendly people here, good businesses, and good folks all the way around.” Beason specifically wanted to “give a shout out” to Coach Rawley Jackson and the Henderson Football team, who will be helping to set up the event.