“HSU Falls Short To SNU In Overtime”

Women's basketball loses in overtime

Haley Spicer, Sports Reporter

The Henderson State Reddies traveled to Bethany, Oklahoma this past weekend to play against Southern Nazarene University.  

HSU fell in a nail-biter ending that finished in overtime. Despite a low scoring first half from both teams, the Reddies had determined defense kept them in the game.

Henderson State’s accurate shooting from the free-throw line kept them within distance in scoring throughout the first half. Having the help from senior guard Hailey Estes who got off to a heated start with 11 points and six rebounds in the first half.

Henderson’s defensive efforts continued to progress as they held SNU to a field goal percentage of 33%. The Reddies ability to make shots in critical moments allowed HSU to capture a one-point lead going into halftime.

HSU overcame an early set back in connecting shots in the third quarter. The Reddies’ picked up the tempo in the final minutes of the quarter, with a mini 6-0 run to pull the 10-point gap within reach going into the fourth quarter.

The last five minutes of the game was action-packed with back to back scoring. Henderson shot the lights out with five three-pointers as they cap off the quarter with 21 points. The momentum began to shift in favor of Henderson State as they went on a 10-0 run to regain the lead.

The Reddies still had unfinished business as the game went into overtime tied at 64-64.

Free throws helped keep the game close as HSU fought until the last second in a 79-71 loss. Junior Forward Karrington Whaley and Sophomore Guard Maci Mains both finish the game with 18 points.

The Henderson State Reddies will travel to Magnolia, Arkansas to play against Southern Arkansas University on Thursday, February 6th at 5:30 pm.