Alpha Xi Bakes for Autism Speaks

Alpha Xi Delta’s Delicious Philanthropy

Kaitlyn Williams, Contributing Reporter

Alpha Xi Delta is one of many sororities on Henderson’s campus.  The sorority raises money for Autism Speaks Incorporated from different activities that can be fun and even delicious! Their annual bake sale was held this past Thursday in the Garrison. There were several options including pumpkin spice, regular chocolate chip, confetti cake, and some Oreo balls. The baked goods were three dollars a bag.

Athena Bloom, a freshman nursing major, is the vice president and head of fundraisers. Athena likes having more opportunities to be a leader and being able to bring more awareness  to Autism Speaks. She felt the need to step up and take this role because of the philanthropy and from personal experience. Athena felt a strong connection to raising awareness about autism because the cause is dear to her heart. She has a cousin that is autistic who she spent most of her time at home raising.

Kirby Smith a junior majoring in physical education is the current president of Alpha Xi Delta. Darby became interested in the sorority and eventually joined because she felt touched when she heard  everyone’s personal stories. This encouraged her to play an active role in raising awareness for Autism Speaks. One of the other major advantages Darby also likes being being able to gain leadership experience along with life long sisters.

Sarah Franklin is a junior  elementary education major. She says that being apart this sorority has been a great experience. It has made her more confident as a person, given her leadership  opportunities ,and a sense of responsibility for now and the future. 

The sorority will continue to have fundraisers to support the awareness for the rest of the semester and for years to come and they encourage others to get involved in the sorority and even just the fundraising itself.  In February the girls will be selling roses for Valentine’s Day. Be on the lookout as they announce more activities coming up!