How Can Henderson Help

Humane Society Hosts Spay and Neuter Clinic

Kelly Stiles, Features Editor

Controlled chaos ensued at the Humane Society of Clark County on Jan. 6-8 as a spay and neuter clinic took place. Drowsy dogs and cats waking up from anesthesia could be found in every point of view as Humane Society employees and volunteers patted their heads and cooed loving words into their ears. Community members filtered in and out, dropping-off and picking-up their pets.

On the first day of the spay and neuter clinic, the Humane Society saw over 70 dogs and cats, many of which are currently sheltered there and are now up for adoption. These clinics occur every two months in order to decrease the number of homeless animals. The next clinic will take place in March.

“We have had a lot of improvement since the flood,” president of the Humane Society board of trustees Janie Allen said. “Pet Smart has helped us out a lot.”

After drastic flash flooding in July resulting in the death of a puppy, staff and volunteers have made significant improvements to allow proper water drainage and fast cleanup in the case of another flood. Also, Pet Smart, in addition to helping adopt out cats over the past two years, donated pet supplies for the Humane Society to sell to customers in order to raise money for improvements.

“We appreciate the community’s support during the flood,” Allen said. “We can always use help.”

Every winter, the Humane Society facilitates a group of dogs being sent to Connecticut with owners waiting on them. The last trip contained 170 dogs. In spite of this recent venture, the Humane Society population has spiked.

The Humane Society is meant to house 70-100 cats and 50-70 dogs at one time but is currently over capacity, rendering them unable to take in new animals until their population decreases. When the population of the Humane Society gets high, volunteers are needed to foster animals until the numbers go down.

“I have been working for the Humane Society for 24 years,” Allen said. “My favorite thing about being here is seeing animals get happy homes.”

When a new animal arrives, they are immediately tested for worms and common diseases and are given proper medical care. The adoption fee for a cat is $70 and a dog is $100. These prices include the costs of vaccinations and spay or neuter surgery.

There are many ways that a college student may aid the Humane Society without adopting or fostering animals. Volunteers are accepted to help clean enclosures, feed animals, do yard work, and run animals to and from veterinarian appointments. People may check out a dog to go on a walk as well. The Humane Society is also in constant need of money and item donations such as dog and cat food, kitty litter, towels, laundry detergent and various miscellaneous items.