How To Not Be Not Involved

Getting involved at HSU

Cle’Varus Oney, Copy Editor

We’ve reached another January, and it’s the time of resolutions and new experiences. For students looking for ways to escape a cycle of study, sleep, hanging with friends, this may be the time to get involved. Even though it’s small, this town and Henderson State have a few ways for students to get involved on and off campus.

For those who want to help make college a more fun experience for other students, the Student Activities Board is currently accepting members.

The Student Activities Board, known as the SAB is comprised of different committees. Each of the committees covers a portion of the free events held on campus. 

The Coffeehouse Committee covers intimate events such as talent shows on campus, poetry slams, and karaoke in the Reddie Café.

The Special Interests Committee covers traditional and recurring events such as the Big Money Bingo, Break for Breakfast, and Battle of the Ravine.

Members of the Digital Media Committee are responsible for bringing film-based events to campus, such as the drive-in movies hosted behind International House and movie nights.

Events like Spring Fling, Day at the Lake, awareness events, and more are covered by the Culture and Concepts committee.

Taking the spotlight away from campus, the Humane Society of Clark County is looking for volunteers. It’s a no-kill shelter that takes in animals to try to find them happy homes.

If you love animals and have some experience caring for them, this may be the perfect opportunity for you to find a break in your usual pattern.

The farthest opportunity to get involved as a student while sticking to Arkadelphia may also be the most interesting. Located on 68 Terrapin Trail, the following program has been running in Arkadelphia for at least ten years.

The “Give Me A Chance Equine Rescue” is a non-profit organization committed to the rescue and rehabilitation of horses, donkeys, ponies, and mules. Their staff is composed entirely of volunteers, and they are seeking more help.

The organization is seeking volunteers for horse care, fundraising, paperwork, and researching grants, among other things. If you’re interested in volunteering for them, they have a volunteer form on their website, givemeachanceequinerescue.org.

There are options for those who want to help closer to campus and options for those who don’t mind taking a short drive, so take a chance and try something new this year.