Rex Richardson at The Delph

Erica Amyx, Contributing Reporter

This past weekend, the Henderson Trumpet Guild hosted a residency for Rex Richardson, a well-renowned solo trumpeter. Richardson first visited in 2017 as a guest performer for Henderson’s wind ensemble. He upgraded his stay this time by holding multiple masterclasses and a jazz concert on Saturday night in Arkansas Hall. 

Bryce Smith, a senior marketing major, was the main force behind getting Richardson to Henderson. “The first thing we did was email him and see if he was even interested,” Smith said. He then went into detail about the process, including “coming up with a verbal agreement, putting a chart together for the jazz concert, and making sure to share Rex on social media.”

Friday at noon, Richardson visited with music majors in RFA about his life as a recording artist and how he got to where he is now. He discussed his struggles as a child with asthma, how he dropped out of music school and graduated with a degree in anthropology, and his transition from free-lance musician to full time touring musician. 

On Saturday afternoon, Richardson held a clinic in Arkansas Hall. He discussed different techniques for practicing certain trumpet skills, such as circular breathing, multiphonics, playing in the lower register, and improvisation. Many high school students and trumpet players in the Arkadelphia area attended. 

Saturday night, Richardson ended his residency with a bang at his jazz concert in Arkansas Hall. The concert featured a variety of exciting jazz charts and a newly formed jazz band consisting of local jazz players.  The band is named “The Skylark Jazz Orchestra.” When asked about the Saturday night concert, Rex Richardson said he was “most excited for the world premiere of two pieces that he wrote entitled “Lefty in the Clover” and “Samba Estrala”: both pieces are dedicated to my wife.”