The History of the Ravine

The Rivalry runs deeper than football

Back to Article
Back to Article

The History of the Ravine

In the quiet town of Arkadelphia, Arkansas lives one of the greatest rivalries in all of college football. Henderson State and Ouachita Baptist University share a ravine and one of the most storied rivalries in the NCAA. The two teams have met 92 times since 1885 and the series is all tied up at 43-43-6. 

One of the greatest games ever played between the two teams was in 2013, the schools went to triple overtime. Henderson ended up winning 60-52 but after the game, something changed between the rivals. “ After the game and the players were shaking hands, you could tell that there was a sense of newfound respect between the two teams” Kevin Motl, a history professor at OBU, said. Since that game, Ouachita has won four out of the last five games, including the last three dating back to November 12, 2016. 

Off the field, the two schools show no respect for their cross-street rival. In this rivalry, there has been anything from kidnappings, to vandalisms. The animosity was so bad between the two schools that they stopped playing for 11 years. Between 1952 and 1963 the teams did not meet despite being across the street from. In the 1975 Henderson Students flew a plane over Ouachita’s campus and dropped marshmallows on their campus. 

The pranks may have calmed down a bit but the tension is still there. “I feel like they are just rich stuck up kids,” a Henderson student said. The pranks add something special to the atmosphere of the campus “I think it’s great to keep the students excited throughout the week, it adds something to talk about” Sophomore Devin Colin Alanis said. 

There have been many good matchups in the 92 game history, but this year is shaping up to be one of the best. Henderson comes into the game with a 9-1 record and is riding a six-game winning streak. They also have a high-powered offense led by Senior Quarter Back Richard Stammetti and Senior Reciever L’liott Curry. Stammetti ranks 17th in Division-II for total passing yards. Curry is 8th in receiving yards and is tied for 3rd in receiving touchdowns. Their only blemish was in a one-point game with Harding University, a team that Ouachita beat by two points earlier in the season.

The Tigers have not lost a regular-season game since October 7th, 2017. Since that day they have won 26 consecutive conference games, which ties a GAC record that was set by Henderson State. Ouachita has already clinched a GAC championship, but if they lose Saturday, they will have to share that with the Reddies. If things were not already big enough, the game will be streamed on ESPN 3 as their D-II game of the week.

If the Reddies can win they have a chance to crush the dreams of their rivals and end their perfect season. At the end of the game, the winner will be able to brag around town for the next 365 days, either way, it is going to be fun to watch.