Terrifying Thursday for The Tigers

Reddies Volleyball Makes Quick Work of OBU

Back to Article
Back to Article

Terrifying Thursday for The Tigers

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor

Henderson returned to Arkadelphia for a Thursday night Halloween match-up where they paid a visit to their neighboring rivals of Ouachita Baptist. The Reddies were coming off a three-match road trip where they went 1-2, snapping their streak of seven consecutive wins.

HSU would propel into an early 8-4 lead but only for a moment before the Tigers would respond with an 8-2 run of their own, causing coach Philip McDaniel to call a Reddies’ timeout to break the momentum. This pause would do the trick as HSU would treat themselves to a 10-5 and 5-1 run the clinching set one, 25-18.

Set two would start off rocky for the Reddies, but they were able to “dig” their way out of a hole, with major contributions from sophomore libero MaKenzie Thoman, who finished the night with a game-high 22 digs, and senior outside hitter Courtney Bolf (21 digs). Adrianna Hartmann made her presence felt at the net, finishing the night with a total of four block assists, moving her into fourth all-time at Henderson with 341. Henderson locked up a 2-0 match lead with a 25-14 second set victory.

The spirit of the Reddie nation came alive as HSU showed signs of a possible 3-0 sweep, which hadn’t happened since 2010. The Tigers had spurts of a possible comeback but would not get back control as Henderson would hold them off, taking down the Tigers swiftly in three sets.

Henderson will travel to Russellville in a big-time match up with Arkansas Tech on Nov. 5.