Reddies Rattled On-Road

Volleyball Goes 1-2 on Road Before Facing Ravine Rivals

Back to Article
Back to Article

Reddies Rattled On-Road

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor

Looking to build on six straight wins, the Reddies’ streak was put to the test on the road. They would play three matches, traveling to Christian Brothers University, Northwestern Oklahoma and Southwestern Oklahoma.

HSU began their trip in Memphis against CBU’s Lady Buccaneers. The Reddies appeared absent-minded early, allowing CBU to take charge by owning the first two sets (25-21, 25-20). However, that Reddie Spirit always finds a way to triumph, as the Reddies would overcome the Lady Bucs. 

With a couple emphatic 11-2 runs, one in the third and fourth sets, and total domination in set five, the Reddies sank the Lady Bucs’ ship and extended the win streak to seven matches. Bolf had a game-high in both kills (20) and digs (22).

Three days later, the Red half of the Ravine rivalry would hit the road once more, only this time to see some Oklahoma foes in NWOSU. The Rangers would give the Reddies anarchy in Alva, forcing their way into a win-by-two situation before stealing set one 29-27. 

Set two saw a battle for the lead, as neither team would trail for long until the final plays, as HSU would win set two 25-20. The Rangers would go on a rampage and the next two sets to finish off the Reddies in a four-set fashion, putting a stop to Henderson’s heroic winning streak.

Before heading home, Henderson took a trip to the dog pound to play against the Bulldogs of SWOSU. In their matchup, the watchdogs of Weatherford held their own, but the hustle of Henderson would keep them in the match.

HSU would take off early and take set one (25-23), but the Dogs would double up (25-20, 25-16) to force Philip McDaniels’ team to put it all on the line to extend the match to a fifth set. Although the School with a Heart would keep beating to push it to a winner-take-all set (25-17), SWOSU put the Reddie spirit to rest, defeating the Reddies in the fifth set 15-11.

While in Memphis, junior setter Abby Blackburn moved into ninth all-time in assists at HSU, while sophomore setter Taylor Scalzi joined the 1,000 assists club. The Reddies will cross the road for a Halloween night matchup on the Ravine against the rival Ouachita Baptist Tigers.