Duty, Honor, Country

Donovan Lee, Sports Editor

As Reddies of the past and present made their way back to campus to commemorate yet
another Homecoming, the HSU Black Alumni Chapter (BAC) kicked off their weekend festivities
with the Black Alumni Banquet. The occasion honored two outstanding African-American alumni
who have impacted the lives of many, both near and far.

The ceremony opened with a poem of black empowerment, written by BAC President Lloyd
Jackson. Following the video, Interim President Elaine Kneebone delivered the official welcome,
in which she showed gratitude to the alumni for their contributions to the university, and that
HSU is welcome to have them back to enjoy the weekend. She also gave a brief history of
African Americans who have left their mark on Henderson and why their accomplishments are
so significant to what Henderson is today.

Mrs. Joyce Craft, raised in Cotton Plant, Arkansas, is a 1977 alum. She would go on to have an
illustrious career in education, working on all levels ranging from teacher to superintendent of
the Hot Springs School District. She also has the honor of being the first African-American, male
or female, to be inducted into the Hot Springs Rotary Club. Although she was unable to attend
the banquet due to family-related concerns, her husband accepted the honor on her behalf.

Major Burton Furlow, Jr., a 1995 graduate of HSU, was born and raised in Blytheville, Arkansas.
While at Henderson, he was a two-sport athlete, playing football and excelling in track. He was
inducted into the All-Arkansas Intercollegiate Track Team. He also became a member of
Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. through the Xi Beta chapter on campus. He began serving in the
United States Army during college, and now works at the Pentagon.

Major Furlow spoke briefly on the values we should use to navigate through life and be an agent
of change: Duty to help one another become educated and successful, Honor those who have
come before us, and Respect for our country and the many opportunities we are granted as
citizens.

“It’s important for us to be able to showcase that you can be successful as a Black student on
this campus, and that you will graduate and see what can happen after that,” said BAC
president Lloyd Jackson. Furlow’s speech encouraged students and alumni alike to continue to
strive for excellence. Life takes you unexpected places. Love brings you home.