League of Latinos Hosts La Lotería

Kelly Stiles, Contributing Reporter

The sound of students reaching their hands into cups of raw beans filled the room. Criminal

justice major Lexi Collins searched her card full of pictures and Spanish vocabulary for the

Spanish words the announcers called then translated to English. “La Lotería!” Collins yelled as she placed a bean on the last blank square.

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, on Oct. 8 the club League of Latinos hosted the

Hispanic culture equivalent of Bingo called La Lotería in the REDDIE Café. Prizes consisting of

gift cards to various places in Arkadelphia were given to the first few winners.

“La Lotería is one of my favorite [League of Latinos events],” League of Latinos sponsor and

associate Spanish professor Maryjane Dunn said. “It is something that kids from different

heritages are familiar with.”

La Lotería has a few differences from the game Bingo. Instead of letters and numbers, the

announcer calls Spanish vocabulary words. Each card at this event had 16 squares with some of

the words and corresponding pictures depicting them. The winner of La Lotería typically needs to have the entire card filled out instead of one line, though just like Bingo, the gameplay can be switched up.

“I’ve made a lot of my friends in League of Latinos,” president of League of Latinos and senior biology major Diana Hernandez said. “It is fun to learn about different cultures, because not

everyone is the same.”

League of Latinos provides a place for students to network with other students and faculty as

well as learn about different cultures, Hernandez said. Students do not have to be Latino or speak

Spanish in order to join.

“We do a bit of everything from discussing different cultures’ politics to cooking classes,” Dunn

said. The club League of Latinos hosts a variety of events and regular meetings typically consist of discussions of social history and heritage of not only Latino cultures but other cultures as well,” Dunn said.

As the raw bean rattling subsided, La Lotería judges came to make sure that Collins indeed won

La Lotería. After they confirmed correctness, Collins was handed a gift card to a local bakery

called Samantha’s Sweets. Holding the gift card up to her face and smiling like a child who is

going to Disney World, Collins said that her favorite part of La Lotería is “winning.”