Butterflies and Tacos: Two student exhibits open this month

Press Releases by Franchesca Smith and Helen Martinez

There are two student exhibits coming very soon to Henderson’s campus. The press releases for both are included below. 

The Henderson State University Fine Arts Department is proud to present “Butterflies and Stingers,” by graduating BFA Digital Art and Design candidate Miss Franchesca Smith. 

Franchesca came to Henderson State University in 2012 as a Business major, but joined the art department in 2014. She is from Junction City, Louisiana/Arkansas. 

While enrolled at HSU, she has studied under the tutelage of Kasten Searles and David Stoddard, as well as many other talented art faculty. 

“Butterflies and Stingers” is a culmination of these studies in graphic design as well as photography. 

According to Franchesca, 

“this show is an exploration through photography, showcasing my life as it has been changed by a diagnosis of Lupus.” 

The reception for Butterflies and Stingers will be Feb. 22 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and will be attended by Franchesca Smith. 

The student gallery is located on the second floor of the Henderson State University Huie Library and the exhibit will be open for the public view from Feb. 19 to Feb. 26. 

The next student gallery that will be free to visit is Helen Martinez’s “Culture.” 

The Henderson State University Fine Art Department is proud to present “Cultura” by graduating BFA digital design candidate Helen Martinez. 

Helen Martinez came to Henderson State University in 2014 from Morrilton. While enrolled at HSU, she had studied under the tutelage of David Stoddard, Kasten Searles, and Aaron Calvert. “Cultura” is a culmination of these studies in digital design. 

According to Helen Martinez, “I want to show my Mexican heritage and culture as fun, colorful, and beautiful. I want my art to allow viewers a look into my life and to look beyond stereotypes and ideas whenever they think of Mexico and its people.” 

A reception for “Cultura” will be on Thursday, Feb. 22 from 1-3 p.m. and will be attended by Helen Martinez. The student gallery is located on the second floor of the Henderson State University Huie Library and the exhibit will be open for public view from Feb. 19-26. 

For more information regarding Library hours, please visit http://library.hsu.edu or contact the Fine Arts Department at (870) 230-5036.