Reddies Torch The Bulldogs 35-7 To Move to 5-1

The Reddies have outscored opponents 82-14 in the last 2 games

Hannah Hodge, Oracle Sports Co-Editor

After dominating against NWOSU, Henderson State traveled to Southwestern Oklahoma in Weatherford, Oklahoma. The weather during the game was windy, with winds blowing as high as 21 miles per hour and the temperature was a cool 60 degrees.

In the first quarter, Runningback Logan Moragne rushed for 59 yards to score the first touchdown in the first two minutes of the game, setting the pace for the remainder of the game. 

Tension began to rise from SWOSU creating a hostile environment with multiple flags and foul plays ending in an ejection of a player from SWOSU.

The beginning of the second quarter was the highlight quarter of the game for Henderson, scoring three touchdowns in the first 20 minutes of the game. 

Senior Quarterback Richard Stammetti found Senior Wide Receiver Doug Johnson in the endzone on a crucial third down, for a four-yard touchdown making the score 14-0. 

After scoring, the kickoff for SWOSU fumbled the ball on the nine-yard line and lead to a turnover with Senior Defensive Back CJ Jones emerging from the pile of players with the ball lifted high. This lead to Redshirt Sophomore Darius Austin for an easy run into the endzone capitalizing on the opportunity, HSU led 21-0.

The Reddies were not done yet. 

Next, Henderson Stateโ€™s defense stepped up and shut out SWOSU, giving the ball back to HSU. Stammetti then threw a pass to Redshirt Junior Wide Receiver Chase Lodree who dove into the endzone for a 45-yard catch. 

Henderson had a 28-0 lead in the first twenty minutes of the game. HSU took this lead going into the second half of the game.

HSU finished the game with Stammetti completing a total of 151 passing yards. Senior Running back Querale Hall finished with a career-high of 19 carries for a total of 99 rushing yards and Moragne with 69 yards. 

On the defensive side, Senior Redshirt Defensive Back Mercardo Anderson finished with nine tackles, three tackles for loss, two sacks, and his first interception of the year. 

After the game, Anderson was named GAC Defensive player of the week. He is the fourth Reddie this season to receive that accolade. 

The Reddies gave Head Coach Scott Maxfield, whose birthday was the day before, a great gift with a sweet 35-7 victory. 

This is the second game that Henderson State has only allowed one touchdown.  SWOSU averaged only 3.8 yards per play and ran for only 52 yards on 26 carries. 

The 5-1 Reddies will return home Saturday, Oct. 19 against East Central at 2 p.m. for Homecoming at Carpenter-Haygood Stadium and Ruggles Field.