Banned Book Week

D'erra Talley, Contributing Reporter

Banned Book Week is an event that takes place in many schools all over America. It recently took place on our campus. This week shines a light on censorship and books that have or been attempted to be banned. 

Many books are banned because of their topic, some being there political or religious view. You may have read some of the books that were attempted to be banned from public school libraries such as, The Great Gatsby and To Kill a Mockingbird. Maybe you enjoyed reading the Captain Underpants books as a kid, someone also attempted to ban those books too. 

Banned Books are often thought of as relatable because of their realistic point of view, which is one reason why the American Library Association created Banned Book Week. The association has been shinning a light on current and historical attempts to censor books in libraries and schools since 1982. Even though this was started 37 years ago people are still trying to get books banned. The book The Hate U Give, which was given out to many students on campus last year, has also been attempted to be banned.

The theme of this Banned Book Week is” keep the light on when censorship leaves us in the dark”. Have you ever read a banned book? If so enjoy banned book week and shine a light on that banned book.