Battle of the Sandwiches

Back to Article
Back to Article

Battle of the Sandwiches

Kelly Stiles, Contributing Reporter

On Aug. 12, Popeye’s released a new chicken sandwich that is trending on Twitter, drawing massive crowds to restaurant locations all over the country, and leaving the fast food chain nearly sold out of every new chicken sandwich. The new Popeye’s chicken sandwich contains a hand-breaded and buttermilk-battered chicken filet with pickles, creamy mayo, and a toasted and buttered brioche bun. 

Does all of this sound familiar?

Fried chicken lovers on Twitter have expressed that the new Popeye’s chicken sandwich and Chick-fil-A’s original chicken sandwich are quite similar. Chick-fil-A tweeted, “Bun + Chicken + Pickles = all the <3 for the original.” Popeyes responded to the tweet with, “…y’all good?” This caused controversy over which popular fried chicken chain is superior.

“They just need to sit down and talk with each other,” said Michael Washington, head cook and supervisor at Henderson’s on-campus Chick-fil-A. “They are both known for their approach on chicken. Though I like Chick-fil-A better, both places are good.”

“The new Popeye’s chicken sandwich is great, but I like them both. We will have more chicken sandwiches in two weeks,” said Kevin Sears, head cook at Popeyes on Central Avenue in Hot Springs.

In addition to the two head cooks, the consensus among Henderson students seems to be that both chicken sandwiches and their restaurants are good, though many prefer Chick-fil-A.

“I am a big fan of Chick-fil-A,” Jasmine Richard, freshman social work major said.

While the Twitter feud continues and customers continue to lengthen the Popeye’s order lines, one thing remains the same: people love fried chicken.