Oracle Online

Filed under Opinion

ICE Decoy University

The year of 2019 has been quite the debacle. Continued investigations on celebrity sex cults, fabricated stories on hate crimes, fragile masculinity becoming even more fragile, and even President Trump’s persistent desire to build a wall that nobody really asked for – and it’s only March.

“What more could we pack into this year” you might ask? Well, try this on for size – according to Fox News, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) set up a decoy university in Michigan in an effort to deport some of their detainees.

The U.S. invited these students to our country to attend school. Be mindful that since this university is fake, it becomes a violation of the students’ student visas. ICE is deporting them based off of student visa violations. Please, help me make sense of this.

In a ploy arranged by DHS, 130 students were arrested by January 30 at the University of Farmington in Farmington Hills, Michigan. A total of 161 foreign internationals were arrested at the sham of an institute since the operation’s inception. Authorities managed to make the school seem real, including alleged accreditations and even allowed students to pursue a master’s degree.

The students came to the U.S. on student visas, most of which were from India. Those that were detained have been housed amongst 34 lockups across the country. Many of them come from poor families which caused them to take out substantially high loans in an effort to pursue higher education at an institute that more or less doesn’t even exist.

While the school did not exist, the immigrants are still expected to pay back their loans although a suitable living wage to do so would be difficult if not impossible to come by in their home countries.

Students that were not detained opted to leave the country and return to their homes.

The Indian government is currently trying to help the students in this legal matter. The students were initially told that they would be allowed to work on OPT (Optional Practical Training) or CPT (Curricular Practical Training) programs after they enrolled even though the U.S. Government says that the Farmington University did not even have classes.

If there is ever a time that I will disagree with government procedures and policies, it would be in this very case. How can someone sleep at night knowing that their flawed methods of carrying out the laws of the land involve presenting the American Dream to third-world countries, knowing that you would never give them this opportunity?

If nothing else, the government invited these immigrants here just to put them in debt and send them back home.

I heard once that April showers bring May flowers but the way this year is going, April is liable to bring a little more than a few showers – mark my words.

What is your opinion about this matter? Is the government wrong for developing a decoy of an institute to trick immigrants? Were they just developing a more innovative way to catch those that violate American laws?

About the Writer
Jae-Kur Lockhart, Opinions Writer/ Editor

Jae-Kur Lockhart is from Bearden, AR. Lockhart is the opinions writer and editor for The Oracle. He is a Human Services major with a minor in mass media....