You SNUze, You Lose!

HSU vs. SNU Series 2019

Jonathan Smith, Sports Reporter

Henderson State University swept their series this past weekend against the Southern Nazarene Crimson Storm. The Reddies entered the series with a 1-8 conference record and a 5-12 overall record. The Storm came in with a 1-8 conference record as well and a 4-12 overall record.

The Reddies made a statement in the first game, winning 8-3. They racked up 14 hits including a home run from junior outfielder Danny Mitchell Jr and a three-for-three performance with three RBIs from senior shortstop Brandon Pollock.

Pitching was great as well, sophomore Austin Cross went five innings only allowing three runs and got the win. Senior Kris Priddy came in and threw four hitless innings and was awarded the save.

The Reddies won game two 4-3 on a walk-off hit from sophomore designated hitter Caleb Carr. They only managed five hits in this game, but managed to steal five bases.

Pitching once again was great. Senior Zach Eschberger threw six innings allowing two unearned runs. Jon Youngblood pitched the last inning and got the win.

The Reddies won the final game 5-3. They got off to a fast start scoring a run in the first. They held a 1-0 lead until the fifth when SNU scored two runs. The Reddies responded and scored a run in the sixth to tie it 2-2.

In the seventh, Mitchell Jr. hit his second home run of the series to put the Reddies in front 4-2. They added another run in the eight and gave up a run in the ninth.

“I really focused on my preparation this weekend. If my preparation was good then I was okay with the results,” Mitchell Jr. said when asked what helped him to hit so well. He then addressed the teams success saying “ I think we played a lot better as a team this weekend. One thing that really stuck out is that we picked each other up when someone didn’t get the job done, the next man up did.”

The Reddies next game is on Tuesday, March 12 against the University of the Ozarks at Clyde Berry Field. The game will start at 6 p.m.