Reddies Win in a Walk-Off

HSU vs. Union 2/27/19

Jonathan Smith, Sports Reporter

The Reddies took on Union University out of Jackson Tennessee in an exciting midweek matchup. The Reddies crushed Union in the last time out winning 21-0, but that was not the case today.

The Reddies won a wild one on a walk-off hit from senior shortstop Brandon Pollock. The Reddies played a great game all around getting 10 hits and only allowing three runs.

Junior Dalton O’Donnell got his first start on the mound this year and threw a fantastic game allowing only two runs over the six innings that he pitched pitched.

It took the Reddie’s bats a few innings to get going,  not scoring their first run until the sixth inning on a groundout from sophomore catcher Josh Aguilar that scored Pollock. Aguilar would come up big again in the eighth inning driving in Pollock again for the tying run.

In the top of the ninth Union would go on to score one run to put them ahead 3-2.

The bottom of the ninth was perfectly executed. The first three batters got on base followed by a lineout to the Union second baseman, bringing Pollock to the plate with one out.

On an 0-1 pitch, Pollock hit a single through the left side of the infield that scored two runs. This resulted in a walk-off win for the Reddies that snapped a nine-game losing streak. “My thought process after the first strike was that he was going to try to get me 0-2 with the same pitch. So I sat on the fastball and tried to barrel it up,” Pollock said.

This was a big win for the Reddies that will hopefully get them back on track. They are playing on the road this weekend at Oklahoma Baptist University, and will not be back at home until they play Southern Nazarene University on March 8 at 6:00 pm.