Baseball Weekend: Reddies drop 21 on Union University

Henderson opened up their 2019 season hosting across-the-street rival Ouachita Baptist on February 1st. The Reddies struggled to get the bats going, getting only five hits and striking out a total of 15 times, but their pitching did a solid job not allowing more than one run in an inning.

Senior pitcher, Zach Eschberger got the start but had a rough outing, only throwing four and a third innings. He only gave up three runs on two hits, but he walked five batters and hit one.

He was relieved in the fifth by freshman, Carson Cox, who threw two and two third innings striking out four batters and only giving up one run.

Redshirt-sophomore pitcher, Jon Youngblood would be called on to pitch next in the eighth and ninth innings. He would give up one run on three hits.

The Reddies would struggle at the plate all night, only getting two hits through the first six innings, a single from senior shortstop Brandon Pollock and a double from redshirt-sophomore catcher Josh Aguilar. The Tigers had scored three runs through the first six innings, and would add one more in the top seventh to make the score 4-0.

In the bottom of the seventh however the Reddies would rally. Starting the inning with the first three batters getting walked; this would bring up Pollock who would hit a double down the right field line driving in two runs. The Reddies would add one more run later in the inning off of a single from redshirt-sophomore designated hitter Caleb Carr, making the score 4-3.

OBU would go on to add one more run in the top of the eight to make it 5-3. This would be the final score as Henderson would not be able to get anything else going offensively.

The Reddies would have a quick turn around playing Union University the following day.

The pitching for the Reddies was great. Sophomore pitcher Matthew Baker got the start on the mound, and dominated the Union hitters. He threw five shutout innings, only giving up two hits and striking out seven.

Baker would be relieved at the start of the sixth inning by junior pitcher Drake Salsman. Salsman would throw two shutout innings giving up only two hits and striking out two.

The Reddies offense was outstanding as well. They racked up 19 hits and scored 21 runs on their way to a 21-0 victory.

The Reddies offense was led by senior right fielder Joseph Shepherd and sophomore first baseman Blake Wynn. Shepherd went 2-4 with two triples and six runs batted in, while Wynn would go 4-4 with two doubles, two RBI’s and scored three runs.

It was not just the starting lineup who did the damage for the Reddies. They would have contributions off the bench as well, mainly from junior Jackson Martin. Martin came in to pinch hit in the bottom of the sixth and hit a three-run homer on the first pitch he saw.

The Reddies had a solid weekend going 1-1. They started slow, but finished on a high note. It should be a great exciting year of Reddie baseball.

HSU would go on to play Northwest Missouri State on February 7th in their first game of the HSU Invitational