Enhance the community: Gamma Beta Phi makes a difference

Story by Greta Goslee Student Reporter

Gamma Beta Phi was founded in 1964 in Spartanburg, South Carolina as a college-level extension of Beta Club, a high school service and honor society. 

There are currently nearly 90 active chapters in the United States. It is one of the many honor societies on campus, inviting the top 20 percent of university students.

The primary goal of Gamma Beta Phi is to enhance the community through service. Community service hours are required for all members and can be obtained through helping with events on campus as well as local community service opportunities. 

“My main reason for taking a leadership role was to make a difference around campus and the community,” says Dayne Yanai, senior Finance major and president of Gamma Beta Phi. 

The current national philanthropic project is Little Free Libraries, which makes books and financial resources accessible to people in neighborhoods that do not have direct access to public libraries. 

Past national service projects have included: collecting books for St. Jude Children’s Hospital, sending thousands of pairs of shoes to citizens of Iraq, and collecting hats for the Heavenly Hats Foundation. 

For more information about Gamma Beta Phi, contact Sally Crain at crains@hsu.edu.