Forging the Future of Henderson State University

Story by Kabryn Grayson,, Student Reporter

A year was added to the Dr. Glendell Jones’ contract, according to a meeting held by the Board of Trustees, who are responsible for the educational mission, administrative, and fiscal policies of Henderson State University. They also ensure the continuity of the university’s well-being. They meet on a regular basis, receive reports presented by the president and vice presidents, listen to input from key stakeholders, and deliberate to determine future courses of action for the university. The board has state authority and fiduciary responsibility to ensure that its actions promote Henderson State University’s best interest, while avoiding conflicts of interest and to complete state-required financial disclosures. Vice president of Student Affairs Brad Patterson gave a rundown of a typical board of trustees meeting in regard
to finance reports, presidents’ reports, and updates on big things going on at the institution. “We had our
president’s report on all things that are happening on campus, and an academic program proposal. We also heard about Dr. Powell and an update about background screening that we do on any new hires that the institution does,” Patterson said. “Of course, right now,
we’re in executive session talking about approval of personnel actions. That’s a pretty typical board of trustees meeting in regard to finance reports, presidents’ reports, and updates on big things going on at the intuition.” One of the most important and biggest aspects of a trustees’ meeting is preparing the budget for next year. The board is currently working on next year’s budget. Things are currently looking up for Henderson regarding finances. “Our tuition revenue is going to be more than we projected, and right now we’re projecting a surplus for the year,”
Powell said. “After we get past January enrollment, we’ll take
another look at it, and see if there are things we needto do, such as giving raises due to extra revenue.” In addition to the several specialist degrees Henderson, a new track for principalship using existing courses is being implemented. “It’s going to feed into our educational doctoral program,”
Dean of Ellis Angela Boswell said. “The board of trustees are working toward the betterment of Henderson State one meeting at a time.”