Observe and Report: BOTR Edition

Back to Article
Back to Article

Observe and Report: BOTR Edition

By Jade Wolfe, Assistant Editor

From glitter squirrel bombs to Kool-Aid packets in the fountain, Kappa Kappa Psi has seen it all and is proud to protect the monuments across campus. Since the late ninety’s, members of the National Honorary Band Fraternity have been helping local authorities cut down on the number of pranks during Battle of the Ravine week. Kappa Kappa Psi President Thad Samuelson gave me a rundown of how it all started.

“The police department couldn’t afford to have officers sit in front of these important monuments all night, so they reached out to all of Greek Life and we’ve been doing it ever since.” Samuelson also said that they were happy to do it because giving back to the community is something that Kappa Kappa Psi enjoys doing. Three of the monuments that Kappa Kappa Psi guard heavily is: Carpenter-Haygood Stadium, the fountain, and the Centurium.

All of these sights have been hit with pranks before and are the top targets to this day. Back in the day, Ouachita students would sneak over and pour Kool-Aid packets in the fountain turning it a shade of puke-worthy purple. Students from across the ravine would also try to trash the stadium before home games, which has not happened thanks to the Kappa Kappa Psi vigilantes.

Thanks to the fraternity, that keeps watch over the campus like Batman keeps watch over Gotham, the number of pranks has declined since their watch first started.

“Everyone is scared to get caught”, Samuelson added. However, even the best watchmen still have pranksters slide under the radar, like this year for instance. The terrible Tigers found a dead squirrel, dipped it in purple paint and glitter, and threw it in the fountain.

There were also flyers sent out encouraging Henderson Students that it wasn’t too late to switch to the “better school”.

Now I know what you’re asking, “has Henderson pulled any good pranks on Ouachita?” I’m glad you asked, because while talking with Samuelson he told me his favorite prank that former students pulled on the OBU students.

“Henderson stole the tiger mascot and suspended it from the walking bridge going to Newberry so if you were driving down that road you would see it.” After that, OBU made it a mission to come rescue their mascot, so they had to come cut it down from the bridge all while stopping traffic and letting it fall into the back of a pickup truck.

As long as we have the rivalry with Ouachita, there will always be the pranks between our school and their’s, but the members of Kappa Kappa Psi vow to keep pranks to a minimum and keep our monuments safe. Samuelson added, “This is our campus and we take pride in that.