Hallo-YOU-ween?

By: Jae-Kur Lockhart, Opinions Editor

Halloween originated as a western Christian celebration and feast referred to once as All Hallows’ Eve. It was established to celebrate and remember the saints, martyrs, and the rest of the departed.

At some point in time, other cultures such as Celtic-speaking countries adopted All Hallows’ Eve and began to adapt it for their own. As time progressed forward, masks became more and more instrumental in the celebration.

Nevertheless, during this time, it is said that the dead get to revisit their old homes to eat and seek hospitality. Early on, pranksters hollowed out large turnips among other gourds and carved grotesque faces as lanterns. It eventually evolved into the jack o’lantern pumpkins that are used today. They were believed to ward off evil spirits.

Now that we’ve gotten a brief overview of Halloween, how do you celebrate the holiday?

“Well this year, I’m going to just help out with Henderson Halloween on campus and then I’ll retire to my room for the rest of the night to study,” said Quincy Gragg, senior Biology major.

Do you plan on at least dressing up for Halloween this year?

“Unless you can consider my work uniform a costume, then no, I won’t dressing up except for work,” said Kevin Hopkins, Junior Computer Science Engineering major.

What some may not know is that dressing up and wearing costumes didn’t come into play North America until roughly 1911.

Do you think that Halloween is as scary or entertaining as it once was?

“Where I grew up, we didn’t really celebrate Halloween because of the negative connotation that it started to develop but I can definitely say that the horror movies are nearly as scary as they once were,” said Tyler Black, Senior Health and Human Performance major said.

How do you feel about haunted houses? Did you attend any?

“My friends and I went to a couple of haunted houses in Little Rock throughout the month,” said Carlton Shutes, sophomore Business Marketing major said. “Even though I don’t really feel the energy of Halloween like usually, those haunted houses are still scary.”

For those that don’t “do” spooky haunted houses or fearful trick or treating, what do you do?

“I like to sit at home and watch scary movies as long as I don’t have to work,” said Kylan McAfee, Aviation Management major.

As for myself, I will be clocking in at work. Any other day, I would be sitting at home watching Hocus Pocus for the umpteenth time or any of the Halloween Town movies.