Just keep swimming: Red Wave look to make a splash

Big teams with big awards, the Red Wave are about to make a splash into the season. After the men’s team finished third, and the women’s team finished fourth, the Red Wave look to win the New South Intercollegiate Swimming Conference Championship this season.

With head coach Coak Matthews at the helm expectations are high and realistic. With new players coming into the program, cohesiveness is important. I expect great things, this year is going to be good,” Dominic Swain said. “We have a lot of people working hard and putting in the hours to be the best they can be. Our freshman is working well, and they are hungry to win.”

Unlike other sports, the freshmen are expected to compete immeadiately along with the rest of their teammates; they are expected to make a large contribution to the team. Swain is on the sprint team and does the 50-meter freestyle. The swimmers compete all season for seeding in the conference tournament, though the men and women do not compete against each other, their points go to the overall team total. Sen ior Ben East swims on the distance team.

“The challenging thing about the distance team is trying to stay mentally in the race. The mile takes 16 to 17 minutes, and you go through a lot of different emotions when you’re trying to keep pace.” East said.

Practice makes perfect for our swimmers. “During practices, you have to practice swimming t h o s e long races, and the repetition makes things easier when it’s time to do it for real.” East said. Freshman Emma Sewell swims mid-distance. Mid-distance swims the 200’s and 500’s, being on a new team in college can be challenging for freshman students to adjust to

“Swimming at the college level is different but it’s fun,” Sewell said. “Practice is good, and the team is close, so I like it.”

The season looks like it will be a fun and memorable one, and the Red Wave seem to be ready for it.