Breaking the racquet and the glass ceiling: Serena Williams has her character attacked during match where she was accused of cheating.

Courtesy of Mctcampus.com.

Serena Williams celebrates her semifinal victory at the 2018 Wimbledon championships on July 13, 2018. Serena Williams has won 23 Grand Slam tiles and has 8 runner-ups. That is the most Grand Slam titles by either male or female athelete in the sport of Tennis.

Kabryn Grayson, Student Reporter

A week has come and gone since Naomi Osaka’s 6-2 6-4 win against Serena Williams at the US Open. The controversy over Williams’ behavior has not. Pictures showcasing Williams exchanging heated words with chair umpire Carlos Ramos took the Internet by storm. “I don’t cheat to win,” Williams said after being accused of receiving illegal coaching. “I’d rather lose.”

The world has been divided between sexism and racism being the two proclaimed causes of Williams’ repetitive code violations. The Herald Sun, an Australian newspaper, published three controversial illustrations of Williams. The cartoon is eerily similar to a Jim Crow-esque drawing. Cartoonist Mark Knight depicts Williams with overdrawn lips, and as much larger than Osaka. She’s seen stomping on a tennis racket. A pacifier lies on the court just a few inches away from her.

Different minority groups are beginning to speak freely, which is giving permission for everyone to stand their ground, and voice their opinions.

Charles Nwakoby, senior, says. “This is pretty much a revolution.” The treatment of Williams has brought up an even larger debate on the treatment of female athletes. “You don’t see as many adverts for WNBA as you will for NBA.” Nena Igbokidi, junior, said. “People would rather watch quote on quote a more competitive, more aggressive, more interesting game even though that might not be the case, cause they haven’t even given it a chance.”

“You always hear about Steph Curry and you hear about Harden, you hear about Lebron James but you don’t hear any female athletes they’ve worked really hard.” Destiny Buckley said.

Another issue that is often brought up when comparing men and women in sports is the pay gap. Similar to most sports teams, there’s the United States soccer team. “They actually win, we win gold at the Olympics we win gold cups, and then we have the men’s team and they’re just kind of terrible.” Christine Bostic, junior, said. “They always lose and always get beat and yet they get paid so much more than the women.”

Graduate assistant Simon Tagne think men sports popularity is simply an issue of interest. “Men are more interested in sports than women. Men are more creative in sports,” Tagne said. At the end of the day, everyone can create reasons for why the divide between women and men’s sports exist. The bottom line is the divide still exists. “Women work just as hard if not harder to obtain the exact same goals, and to carry out the exact same exercises,” freshman Abigail Harris says. ”That’s kind of ridiculous.”