Terror hits spa city as Sixth Annual HSHFF gears up

The Sixth Annual Hot Springs Horror Film Festival will take place from Sept. 20 to Sept. 23 and will feature over a dozen films with q&a’s with several interesting folks in the business of horror.

Photo courtesy of Hot Springs Horror Film Festival

Pete Tubbs, Arts and Entertainment Editor

The Sixth Annual Hot Springs Horror Film Festival is finally rolling into town this month. The acclaimed festival will feature several films, both from local and nationally known filmmakers.

The fest will kick off on Sept. 20 at 1 p.m. with a meet and greet at Will’s, which is near the theatre. At 2:30 p.m., the film “Sanctuary,” which stars Alexandra Willers, Michael Andrew Scott, Blake Logan and Fedor Steer will be shown. Following the opening film; “The Scarecrow” at 4 p.m., “Stillborn” at 4:05 p.m., “To Tokyo” at 4:30 p.m., “Inked” at 5:50 p.m., and several others leading to the world premier of “Menace” by Jonah Greisman at 10:30 p.m..

Friday brings its own host of films which begin at 12:30 p.m. with “Lost in Apocalypse,” and will be followed with films such as “Black Wake,” “Karma,” “Plastic,” and “10/31,” which was directed by Sam Wineman.

While each day features its own set of films, one of the most exciting things about the weekend will no doubt be the special guests in attendance. The man that played Leatherface himself (in Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III), R.A. Mihailoff, will be in attendance for a private screening of the biker film “Ride Hard Live Free.”

The show starts at 8 p.m. on Sept. 22. However, if you ride to the show from Rodney’s Cycle House in LR to the show which is at 1008 Central Ave. in Downtown HS, you can get discounted tickets.

Another special guest will be Michael Berryman. Although his name may not be recognizable at first glance, Berryman has starred in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” and “The Hills Have Eyes.”

He will be showing his new film, called “The Evil Within,” on Sept. 23 at 5:30 p.m., and there will be a q&a after the film ends.

On the 22 and 23 from 2-3:30 p.m., both Berryman and Mihailoff will be participating in an autograph signing at Spa Con in the Expo Hall at the Hot Springs Convention Center if you want to get to know the horror icons in person.

The HSHFF is a fantastic opportunity for fans of art and scary movies to experience some films you may not have seen on the big screen. If you’re a fan of movies or horror, be sure to stop by.