Music from the Reddie heart: karaoke in the Reddie Café

Back to Article
Back to Article

From rap to slow jams to country, the Reddie Cafe was rocked by SAB’s most recent karaoke night.

Photo by Cle’Varus Oney, Student Reporter

:Cle’Varus Oney, Student Reporter

On Tues., Sept. 11, many of our Reddies showed off their vocals at the Karaoke Night hosted in the Reddie Café. The HSU student activities board hosted the event to encourage students to share their voices.

Voices filled with anticipation resound within the cafe as friends decide what they should sing either alone or together.

Some students had a signature song in mind, such as Quincy Gragg who kept the crowd’s attention with his rendition of “Can You Stand the Rain?” by New Edition.

With this attention, Quincy included a sung shout out for his fraternity, Alpha Phi Alpha.

Other students were goaded on by friends who had in them, like Ivory Myers who invited the crowd to sing “Sweet Thing” by Rufus and Chaka Khan along with her.

The crowd obliged, adding their voices to Ivory’s to create a sound that could be heard far into the Garrison. Even the shyest singers’ voices could rise from a whisper to a confident song as they are encouraged by the crowd.

As a special treat, our hosting students gave the crowd their own serenade with a couple of songs.

Many types of music were explored, from slows jams to country rap, giving our Reddies a view of their colleagues’ tastes in music.

Whether it be humorous or wondrous, each singer got a round of applause.

The Student Activities Board welcomes all students to join them in future events which could include other karaoke nights, movie nights, and game nights. Be sure to check hsu.edu’s calendar for up to date information about SAB.