Glowing back to school

Back to Article
Back to Article

Glowing back to school

Pictured from front to back: Shalonda McCoy, Koren Young, Eugenia McElroy, Ashley
Hunter, Davina Lemons, Amber Burton, and Cicily Williams.

Pictured from front to back: Shalonda McCoy, Koren Young, Eugenia McElroy, Ashley Hunter, Davina Lemons, Amber Burton, and Cicily Williams.

Diominique McKissick

Diominique McKissick

Diominique McKissick

Diominique Mckissick, Student Reporter

to entrepreneurship workshops one group is pathing a brighter way for young ladies in Arkadelphia. Inspired Success an organization based out of Arkadelphia has created a safe place for youth to grow, develop and receive love. As the group begins to start up, they plan on letting nothing stop them in their goals.

Girls Living on Wings or G.L.O.W is a nonprofit organization started by mothers of the community. G.L.O.W has over twenty participants at the moment. Their name is taken from the Bible verse located in the book of Isaiah Chapter 40 verse 31 “but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”

The goal of the organization is to inspire, empower and build healthy relationships with the girls of Clark County and surrounding areas. The group is made up of middle school aged girls. This age is an important development stage for a juvenile’s social development. Developers aim to help mold these girls into future successes. This year was the organizations first annual Back to School Girls Retreat. Festivities began with two workshops, the topic being beautiful. Girls were asked what made them beautiful. And What was their idea of real beauty. The night concluded with a sleepover at the Hampton Inn hotel in Caddo Valley, Arkansas Friday August 24. Saturday morning August 25 , the girls and their mentors enjoyed a light breakfast at the Caddo Valley City Hall. Speakers came to speak to the girls about social media awareness and how to become an entrepreneur. Influential women from different career paths and walks of life came to speak to G.L.O.W. Women such as Cicely Williams, Tanisha Owens, Janeeshia Harvell, and Sharon Golden.

Photo By: Diominique McKissick
Pictured from left to right: Taylor Aultman, Lauren Epps, Jasolyn Nelson, And Zuri
Jones.

Ashley Hunter, G.L.O.W’s CEO and founder, says that the event could not have gone as well as it did without the help of local businesses and community members, “I thank God for the support and donations from Brookshire’s, Walmart, Imperial Auto, Subway, Greater Pleasant Hill Missionary Baptist Church, Mt. Olive Baptist Church, G&J Counseling, Renee’s Vinyls, Ashely Wesley, K&K Kutz and Kreations, Michelle Furlow, and all of the G.L.O.W volunteers.”

“The girls had fun and hopefully learned something from this event that they can use as they continue to grow intellectually, emotionally and spiritually,” says Hunter.

When asked by one of the girls if the organization could have another event before next year Hunter replied by saying “We might have to.”

With the success of G.L.O.W Inspired Success plan to expand their reach to even younger girls. Plans for Sparkle, a group for young girls in 1st through the 5th grade, have already been set in motion to be available in the spring. The mentors for this program will be the middle school girls that are apart of G.L.O.W now.

Our next even is with Ty’s Delicious Treats next month. The girls will be learning hand on about baking masterpieces and owning a business.

If you would like to help participate in volunteering with these young ladies or make a donation of monetary gifts, talents or resources please contact Inspired Success at their email address inspiredsuccess18@ gmail.com.