Real recognizes real: students win Player of the week

Captains walk for the coin toss against harding university
courtesy of Madison Rushing

Captains walk for the coin toss against harding university courtesy of Madison Rushing

Cortez Akins, Sports Editor

One player of the week is nice, but two is incredible. During week 2 of the season the Reddies had two players named to player of the week.

The game at Arkansas Tech was an exciting football experience. The game went into one Overtime period, but to get into overtime the Reddies needed a clutch play from their offense.

Richard Stammetti threw a 21-yard passing touchdown to sophomore wide receiver Chase Lodree, that capped off a 9 play 88-yard drive that was all through the air. In overtime Henderson got the ball first, the quarterback led the team to the 1-yard line where he ran the ball in himself. Arkansas Tech could not respond, and the game was over. The Reddies were 1-1 in conference play and Quarterback Richard Stammetti was named Offensive Player of the Week for his stellar game against the Arkansas Tech Wonder boys.

Stammetti was 25-56 for 315 yards and 4 touchdowns and he ran for one touchdown to win the game. This is Stammeti’s first year being QB1 for the Reddies. When asked about what player of the week meant to him Richard said, “It’s pretty cool being recognized after my second start, it means a lot.” His goals for the season are just to win, he takes them one game at a time, but his overall goal is to win the GAC.

Richard came from a JUCO, being there shaped him into the player that he is, He said “playing there taught me to take it one play at a time and have a 1-0 mentality.”

Being QB1 means to leading the team. He his teammates to know he can lead and that he has his back.

Bryston Gipson was named Special Teams Player of the Week, he had 5 tackles and he blocked a field goal near the end of the first half. On being recognized Bryston said

“being in a position to change the momentum of the game was really exciting, then to be awarded Player of the Week, that was really special.”

Bryston doesn’t want his good play to stop here, one of his goals is to be named All-Conference and to win the GAC. When asked how his teammates wanted him to view him Bryston said “I know my teammates have my back and I want them to know I have theirs.”

This is the first time since 2015 that Henderson has had more than one GAC player of the week. For week 3 Reddies punter Esparaza Garners was named.

In the loss to Northwestern Oklahoma. He punted the ball 10 times for 398 total punting yards. He downed 5 balls inside the 20 – yard line, he also made a tackle to save a touchdown.  

The Reddies return home this Saturday, September 22 as they face Southwestern Oklahoma state at 6 pm. Saturday is also Family day.