Charming colors

BoxyCharm strives to bring the makeup hobbyists dreams come true

BoxyCharm+has+an+assortment+of+beauty+products+to+choose+from.+
BoxyCharm has an assortment of beauty products to choose from.

Photo courtesy of BoxyCharm.

Photo courtesy of BoxyCharm.

Story byTierra McCraney, Student Reporter

Collecting makeup, like any other hobby can be expensive, especially when you want to try out new products. Fortunately, there is a $21 beauty subscription box called BoxyCharm that includes five full-sized products valued at over $100.

Being someone who enjoys wearing makeup, when I first read about BoxyCharm, I was excited to give it a try.

These are the five items I received from April’s Box:

Tarte – Tartiest Pro Glow: Liquid Highlighter (valued at $29.00) – When I first tried out this product I was impressed. The gold highlight was pigmented and blended nicely with my foundation. According to the BoxyCharm website, the highlighter can also be mixed with foundation for a more dewy look.

Colourpop – Golden State of Mind Eyeshadow Palette (valued at $26.00) – another product I would rate five stars. There were five possible palette options for this month’s BoxycCarm. I received the more sunset-based colors, golds, maroons, and lights browns. What surprised me about this palette was that each color was a shimmer. When I tried the colors on, it seemed much more like a highlighter than an eyeshadow. But the more I used the eyeshadows, I noticed how pigmented and high-quality they are.

Dr. Brandt – Pores No More Vacuum Cleaner (valued at $47.00) – I would rate this product four out of five stars. The product has a gel consistency and feels good on the skin. According to the BoxyCharm website, the mask is to “unclog and tighten the look of pores, and reduce excess oil from the skin’s surface.” And although I do feel like the product does work well, this mask was made in China and is not cruelty-free like the rest of the products from BoxyCharm.

The BrowGal – The Instant Tinted Eyebrow Gel (valued at $22.00) – I would give this product zero stars because I was not able to use this product.

At the beginning of the sign-up process, there was a beauty test that allows you put your skin tone and hair color. I was very disappointed when I found out the brow gel was a reddish-brown and included fiber hairs.

Adesse – Hi Definition Liquid

Lipstick (valued at $24.00) – Being someone who loves lip products, this was the product I looked forward to the most. I saw pictures of this product on the BoxyCharm Instagram page and noticed that the product was a light brown shade, but I had no idea it would be light in person. Considering I filled out a beauty test and put my skin tone specifically, I would rate this product one star.

The total cost of April’s box is $148. If you are even slightly interested, you should give BoxyCharm a try, but of course, like everything in life, there are pros and cons.

Pros: the overall value of the box is over $100, BoxyCharm includes well-known brands that are not drugstore, and it is a great way to try new products without spending too much money.

Cons: Boxycharm does not cater to individuals of deeper skin complexions and the products are all luck of the draw so you have no idea you will the like the products until the $21 has already been drawn out of your bank account.

Although there were more hits than misses with this month’s Boxcharm, I did cancel my subscription. One of the main reasons the limited range of products for those of deep skin tones.

My second reason was unsubscribing, was that receiving five products each month can be overwhelming, especially if you already have a large collection.