We all gotta hang ‘em up sometime:Jordan says farewell to seniors who were honored at last week’s game

Last week’s matchup up against OBU meant a lot more than just a win or lose on the record for the year, and it meant more than the Battle of the Ravine. Last week’s game meant so much more than anyone can imagine. 

Last week was senior week and for several players on both the men’s and women’s roster, and it was the final time that many of the players would ever wear a Reddie uniform. It meant the end of a long journey for these players, hours of practice and tireless effort all put towards the passion and pursuit of basketball all coming to an end. It was a time to honor the commitment and effort of the senior players who will be moving on to bigger and better things as this season comes to a close. 

Seniors being honored for the women’s team were Bree Bossier and Haleigh Henson. Bree Bossier is a senior from Fairfield, Tex. who, while in high school, lettered all four years in high school and even won Defensive Player of the year honors. She also had the honor of being on the All-State, All-Region and All-Region Tournament teams. 

Bossier’s time at Henderson has been spent doing what she does best, and what often doesn’t show up on the stat sheet, playing excellent defense. She has seen a steady increase in her playing time sense her freshman year and would eventually become our lifeblood on the defensive as she has been this year. 

She finished this year with career highs in all statistical categories and notching nine double-doubles on the season. Haleigh Henson was also honored, she’s a senior who will leave the program as not only one of the greatest shooters in HSU history, but in GAC history as well. 

An Arkansas native, Henson attended Greenwood high school where she played volleyball, ran track, and played basketball. She helped lead her high school basketball team to a state championship her senior year, was on the All-State and All-Conference teams her senior season, and was an McDonalds All-American Nominee during her senior season as well. 

From the moment she laced up and hit the court, Henson has been a phenomenal shooter and will leave a notable mark on the program with amount of records she hold. Henson has the records for most 3’s ever made for the women’s program with 212 made, a record that puts her tied for fifth all time when combining both the men’s and women’s records, she also hold GAC records for minutes per game as a freshman, averaging 33.7 minutes. 

She also averaged the most three-point field goals as a freshman with 2.7 per game during her freshman campaign. She is the only freshman to hold those individual records in both categories. 

For the men’s team, the seniors being honored were Kaylon Tappin, Brad Narin and Matt Panaggio. 

Kaylon Tappin is from Little Rock Arkansas and is a transfer from Mid-South Community College. He came to Henderson as a sophomore and came in as a big contributor off the bench, but quickly moved up to starter status as a junior starting 23 of the 29 games he played that year. 

A dynamite scorer, Tappin finishes his career as a member of the Reddies 1000-point club, tied for eighteenth with 1152 points over his career as a Reddie. He has led the team in scoring for the past two seasons. 

Brad Narin is from Nassau, Bahamas and is a transfer from Blackhawk East Central Community College. He has been a mainstay for the Reddies, starting the last six games of last season playing the passing lanes and contesting any and all shots he can get to. Anyone who watches any of the Reddies games the past two seasons knows the incredible amount of skill he brings to the floor. 

The last senior to be honored was Matt Panaggio from Port Orange, Florida. He is a transfer from Mercer University. Though he started 25 of the 29 games he played in his first year at Henderson, Panaggio found his role for the remainder of his time here as a scorer off the bench. 

Though he may not hold any important records for the Reddies, Matt has had a tremendous career coming off the bench scoring key buckets when the Reddies were down, as he averaged almost 10 per game the last two seasons. 

All of the players have played key roles during their careers at Henderson and will be fondly remembered as the season draws to close. Each and every one has left their mark as a Reddie. 

This reporter would like to wish each and every senior who will be moving on from their second home in Arkadelphia and the Duke Wells Center the very best, and would like to personally thank them for the amazing collegiate careers they have had while playing in a Reddies uniform.

“Henson has been a phenomenal shooter.”

“This reporter would like to wish each and every senior who will be moving on… the very best.”