Trading the wood for the grass

Spring weather brings spring sports

Story by Jordan Williams, Sports Reporter

#42 Blake Patterson trailing #4 Joseph Shepherd after his home run.

With the time on the hardwood coming to a close, Reddie fans have turned their attention to the chalk lined diamond. With spring time now in full swing, so is both the baseball and softball season.

As with any new Reddie fans and players alike come into the season with high hopes for what looks to be a promising season expecting to break records, set records, and leap over any and all expectations that have been set out for them.

The softball team has gotten off on a great start having a holding a record of 18-13 over there first 31 games, with a record of 10-10 in conference play. They have 7-4 at home and 6-7 when on the road.

Several stars have already made their mark as it has gone on; Maddie Green is currently leading the team in homeruns with 6, is second on the team with 38 total hits, and is first with total bases with 58.

Another star player to be on the lookout for is senior pitcher Michelle Sorenson, who so far this year has stuck out 42 players. She has nearly half of all the strikeouts for her team this year, has allowed only 35 hits and so far this year all while sporting an ERA of 3.08.

The softball teams will suit up twice this week in two double headers versus Monticello on Friday, March 30 the first of the double headers starting at 4 p.m. while the second is set to start at 6 p.m. and Saturday the first game starting at 1 pm while the second is to start at 3 p.m..

The baseball team has been on a tear as of late as they’ve won 5 of their last 6 outings. They have an overall record of 19-10, while being 13-4 in conference play.

They have a home record of 8-5 and an away record of 10-3. This team can win all ball game in whichever stadium they walk into.

Jordan Harris has had a fantastic season at bat so far this year, leading the team in overall hits with 37. He is second on the team in homeruns with 4 and is leading the team with a slugging percentage of .542%.

His play is only seconded by that of Zack Gray who is currently sporting a slugging percentage of .490% and is leading the team in total homeruns this year with 5.

Brent Schwaab has come up big in several outings as well. While maybe not showing up in the overall box score, he is an absolute slugger who has made some big plays in crucial moments.

The baseball team has a double header this week as they will travel to Monticello in their first back to back meeting of the year. Their first game starts at 3 p.m. on Friday and, they will play a double header on Saturday with the first game starting at noon while the following game should start at 3p.m..

With spring now finally here and father winter finally ending, now more than ever is the perfect time to get out and enjoy some Reddie sports action.

With the baseball season and softball season really starting to heat up, come out and support your fellow Reddies in their pursuit of GACC conference