We’re gonna need a bigger boat

Jerry on “Subnautica”

Opinion by Jerry Crowe, Student Reporter

Mystery lures those looking for an adventure, to the call of uncharted places just waiting to be seen from space to our own bodies of water on earth.

Oceans are full of wonder and mystery with our own ocean life remaining mostly undiscovered, but when lost at sea the vast open waters can be a cruel and scary place. Now imagine being stranded in the ocean on another planet where the sea has consumed ninety-nine percent of the land around.

Photo courtesy of Unknown Worlds Entertainment
An example of one of the locations in “Subnautica.”

Surviving on an alien planet in the ocean all alone, disregarding the fish, is what makes “Subnautica” such an interesting survival adventure video game set in an open world from a first-person view.

Unknown Worlds Entertainment, known for the series Natural Selection, return with their new game “Subnautica” that recently released from early access in January. The small company drops the player into a pod that has just been released from the Aurora, which is the name of the crashing ship, as he or she plummets to the enigmatic unidentified planet below.

On awakening, in the escape pod, the player is greeted with a fire that has to be put out and thankfully there is a fire extinguisher. Outside the safe haven of the pod, the new world is as mysterious as the life is dangerous. To survive, the player must find liquids for hydration and food for hunger, meanwhile remembering to return to the surface before water fills their lungs.

The secret of what happened to the Aurora is much more interesting than a cliché meteorite taking the ship down.

Whenever I thought the answer to how the spaceship crashed was clear, something came along to throw me off, while the surviving and crafting of my own underwater bases made for an exciting reason to collect copper, gold, and diamonds from the depths of this imaginably deep ocean.

Biomes are diverse and present a different variety of animals and plants that add to the overall amazement of “Subnautica.” Exploring each new area adds beauty and depth to both the challenge of survival, scenery, as well as modes of transportation.

Of course, the lungs can only get a player so far down, so submarines of different forms help navigate the abyss. Just when I thought I had hit the lowest point there would be pathways to even lower biomes that added new elements and rarer crafting supplies.

The surface is gorgeous at day and magically lit from the fish to the flora. Deeper in this abyss is a silence of light until bioluminescence starts another stage of lights by creatures. The deepest part of the planet houses lava pits and lakes of lava as well as unsettling deadly creatures that can destroy the biggest of underwater vehicles.

During my time playing Subnautica the only struggles I had been catching the fish, which got easier and the graphics would sometimes mess up, but that did turn me away from the game.

My interest for “Subnautica” was deeper than the waters on this alien planet and around every corner the video game only impressed me, so I give the game 4.8 out of 5 stars.

Explore where very few have gone and make yourself at home because this game is going to take a while to beat!