Well, they got that goin’ for ‘em: How has the women’s golf team been doing?

Story by Dylan Corey, Student Reporter

The HSU women’s golf team won their third tournament of the year on March 6 at the Diffie Ford Invitational in Oklahoma City.

This was the teams third victory thus far, with the other two wins coming at the NSU Women’s Classic and GAC Fall Preview respectively.

After both days of playing, the Reddies ended with a 622 stroke total, six shots higher than Oklahoma Christian who closed the tournament in second.

Head coach Forrest Schultz was satisfied with the way his team performed.

“I was very happy about the win at the tournament. I thought our team was prepared to win that event and I was glad we were able to go out there and perform.” Schultz stated.

However, this was no easy victory for the Reddies. Due to poor weather leading up to and even at the tournament, the players were forced to adjust and oftentimes had to practice inside.

Sarah Wright and Taylor Leob were both huge factors for HSU. Sarah Wright posted a performance that was good enough to earn her the GAC golfer of the week award. The senior finished with a score of 149 after 36 holes, and was second to none in total pars.

Leob was another contributor who was vital in Henderson’s achievement, and she had the most birdies on the team with 5.

In terms of individuals, HSU’s two competitors were Taylor Reed and Christian Barrett. Out of 95 competitors, Barrett led the two by tying for 37th. Reed finished with a score of 170 that tied him for 56th.

In late February, the Henderson men won their first tournament of the season at the Rattler Invitational in San Antonio. They survived a tie of worse by the skin of their teeth by sneaking by St. Mary’s, who finished just one stroke behind the Reddies.

Thunderstorms were an issue throughout the tournament, which may have been a stroke of luck for HSU by cancelling the third round which may have allowed St. Mary’s to take over the primary position.

Trey DePriest had a hot start and didn’t look back, who finished with six birdies in the two rounds.

For upcoming events, the Henderson men will take a short trip to Russellville on March 12-13 for the Dave Falconer invitational. The women’s next outing is set for the same days, but will take place in Wichita Falls, Texas, for the Midwestern State Invitational.